So, this weekend, I spoke with a couple to whom I’d lent the first disk of Firefly.
My rule of thumb on getting people interested in Firefly has, thus far, be ‘make them watch an episode’.
Seriously, that’s usually all it takes.
Anyway, I was expecting… well, pretty much the same reaction I get from everyone else to whom I’ve introduced the show.
Definitely didn’t get that.
Now, I can see not liking the show… I guess.* Anything’s possible. But with that said, the show’s got Whedon’s sharp dialogue and characters, and it’s sci-fi and westerns. Between those two genres and the writing, you’ll usually hit a person’s buttons somewhere.
Again, it didn’t happen.
What blows my mind, though, is not that they didn’t like it, but it seems clear they just didn’t… get it.
I mean, at-fucking-all, people.
Here’s a few of the comments I got back, regarding the couple’s watching of the pilot, Serenity.
- The music was stupid.
- The Captain was too… Bruce Campbell.
- The spaceship was all beat up and trashy looking.
- Why isn’t there any tech?
- Why didn’t they just drop a bomb on the old woman at the end?
- Why didn’t they just shoot the Reaver’s ship?
- I didn’t like Inara — the prostitute thing is dumb. (No offense, but that’s such a classic conservative’s response to legalized prostitution that it doesn’t warrant a reply. :P)
- I didn’t like Kaylee. (This is just wrong. Wrong on so so so many levels.)
- River was too angsty.
- Wasn’t this show cancelled?
- They’re making a movie? Well, they just did that with Starsky and Hutch, so I guess anything’s possible. (I almost flipped at this point — I want bonus points for that.)
Note that no actual character names were used in the comments — I’m adding those — there was no effort at all made to remember who was who, even for their favorite character (Jayne). I think one of them left in the middle of the episode to take a shower.
Lori H. did the right thing I think — simply shook her head and walked out of the room at “the music was stupid”. I… kept trying to understand.
I’m still trying.
Anyway, I asked them to watch a couple more episodes, but… at this point, I’m waiting for them to compare it to Star Trek unfavorably, at which point I’m going to have to kill them.