Just cross the outstretched, slightly open fingers of one hand over the outstretched, slightly open fingers of the other. Then, with your back to the Sun, look at your hands’ shadow on the ground. The little spaces between your fingers will project a grid of small images on the ground. During the partial phases of the solar eclipse, these images will reveal the Sun's crescent shape, as shown in the accompanying photo.
The first time the president’s name appeared on the front page of the New York Times was more than 40 years ago. “Major Landlord Accused of Antiblack Bias in City,” read the headline of the A1 piece on Oct. 16, 1973, which pointed out how Richard Nixon’s Department of Justice had sued the Trump family’s real estate company in federal court over alleged violations of the Fair Housing Act.
Over the next four decades: he was accused of ordering “all the black employees off the floor” of his Atlantic City casinos during his visits; claimed “laziness is a trait in blacks” and “not anything they can control”; requested Jews “in yarmulkes” replace his black accountants; told Bryan Gumbel that “a well-educated black has a tremendous advantage over a well-educated white in terms of the job market”; demanded the death penalty for a group of black and Latino teenagers accused of raping a jogger in Central Park (and, despite their later exoneration with the use of DNA evidence, has continued to insist they are guilty); suggested a Native American tribe “don’t look like Indians to me”; mocked Chinese and Japanese trade negotiators by doing an impression of them in broken English; described undocumented Mexican immigrants as “rapists”; compared Syrian refugees to “snakes”; defended two supporters who assaulted a homeless Latino man as “very passionate” people “who love this country”; pledged to ban a quarter of humanity from entering the United States; proposed a database to track American Muslims that he himself refused to distinguish from the Nazi registration of German Jews; implied Jewish donors “want to control” politicians and are all sly negotiators; heaped praise on the “amazing reputation” of conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, who has blamed America’s problems on a “Jewish mafia”; referred to a black supporter at a campaign rally as “my African-American”; suggested the grieving Muslim mother of a slain U.S. army officer “maybe … wasn’t allowed” to speak in public about her son; accused an American-born Hispanic judge of being “a Mexican“; retweeted anti-Semitic and anti-black memes, white supremacists, and even a quote from Benito Mussolini; kept a book of Hitler’s collected speeches next to his bed; declined to condemn both David Duke and the Ku Klux Klan; and spent five years leading a “birther” movement that was bent on smearing and delegitimizing the first black president of the United States, who Trump also accused of being the founder of ISIS.
This is not news.
The news is, we’re letting him run the country.
Maybe you don't want to punch Nazis because you don't want to punch anybody, but you want to do SOMETHING. That's fair. (I don't want to punch anyone either, though I've decided I will make an exception in the case of Nazis, but that is my choice, not yours.)
Maybe you wouldn't mind punching Nazis, and there are no Nazis around to punch, but you feel you must to do something. Also fair.
Here's what you do.
Love somebody who needs it right now.
Talk to the brown-skinned guy with the accent who, like you, is standing in the Home Depot, waiting to see if the employee can find any eclipse-rated welding goggle lenses in inventory.
Tell your black or jewish coworkers how sorry and frustrated and goddamn ANGRY you are that this country has allowed this poison for so long, pretending it wasn't there.
They will know what you mean. They've always known. We're the ones who've just figured it out, and shame on us.
Find your lesbian, gay, bi, transgender, queer friends and ask them what they need. (Don't ask how you can help – don't make them do the mental labor of finding a place for self-important YOU in their trouble – ask them what they NEED and fit yourself to that.)
If you don't have such friends, get out in the world and fucking FIX that.
Love someone who needs it right now.
Love someone who needs it, right now.
Someone who isn't like you.
There are a lot of them, and they need it right now.
WE need it right now.
If you need to do something. Do that.
My kids are alike in many ways, but they are definitely individuals in ways I've tried to articulate in the past.
Yesterday, they gave me a single story that illustrates each of them, perfectly.
We had to drop off Kaylee at camp, and after the paperwork and unpacking in the cabin, everyone was supposed to assemble at 'the field' to say goodbyes and play games.
So we went down there, and see about forty kids milling around, visiting, et cetera. There's a makeshift kickball field, and a couple boys about a year younger than Kaylee, kicking a soccer ball back and forth.
Sean goes over near them, and is watching intently.
One of the kids notices this, and veers off his direction, letting the soccer ball roll over near the edge of the field by the trees and long grass.
"Do you want a ball too?" he asks Sean, extending a old, dirty, yellow rubber ball. "You can have this one. Do you want it?"
He keeps offering it, and asking, over and over, until Sean finally shrugs and reaches for it.
At which point the kid chucks it backwards over his own shoulder and has a good laugh with his buddy.
And here are my kids:
Sean frowns at the kid, shrugs as if to say "whatever man, I don't even know you, and that ball was gross anyway" and stalks off to do something else.
Kaylee, who'd been standing next to me, takes a couple steps forward and starts in. "Really?!? You're starting off a week of camp, WITH ME, and the first thing you do is pick on my little brother? THAT seemed like a good idea? Really?!?"
And the boy backs off and rejoins his friend. They both realize they don't have the soccer ball anymore. It's over at the edge of the field.
Actually, while all this was going on, Zoe went over and picked it up, and she's standing right where it had rolled.
They walk over, bending over and talking in that "charm little kids" high voice.
"Hiiiii. Can we have that? Can you give that to us?" They pause. "Do you want to kick it to us?"
Zoe looks at the ball, extends it out toward them…
… and CHUCKS it back over her shoulder, into the trees and long grass.
Then walks away, without even looking at them.
So… my kids, in summary:
"Americans will honor and fulfill the Paris Agreement by leading from the bottom up – and there isn't anything Washington can do to stop us," Bloomberg said.
Actually, let me take that "not going to lie" a bit further: I cried a little when I read this, grateful and a little shocked.
I don't know much about Bloomberg (though I like what I do know); I certainly don't know if he's a good person or not.
But the guy just stepped up and promised concrete action to protect my kids, and a ball of tension I didn't even realize I was holding unwound a little.
‘Washington can’t stop Americans’: Michael Bloomberg pledges to pay US share of Paris climate funding
US billionaire Michael Bloomberg has offered $15 million to UN efforts to tackle climate change after President Donald Trump announced he is pulling the United States out of the Paris Climate Accord.
- Man yells, “Make America Great Again!” Before shooting 6 people dead.
- Man wearing, “Make America Great Again” hat murders 2 strangers for no reason.
- A Trump supporter murders 2 police officers because they told him he couldn’t wave a Confederate flag at a high school football game.
- Two men beat a homeless man with a metal bar and urinate on him screaming, “Donald Trump was right, all these illegals need to be deported,” When asked for a comment about the incident Trump defends them saying, “My supporters are very passionate. They love this country and they want this country to be great again.”
- Trump supporter attacks a Hispanic man and a Muslim student at a gas station while yelling, “Trump! Trump! Trump!”
- Trump supporter stabs a black man unprovoked because he was holding hands with a white woman, tells police they need to release him so he can attend a Trump rally that night.
- Trump supporter attacks Muslim woman at airport.
- A Trump supporter punches a 70 year old protester in the face.
- Trump supporter arrested for brutally beating protester.
- 3 Trump supporters arrested planning terrorist attack to kill Muslims.
- Trump supporter confuses an Indian man for a Muslim at restaurant and says, “Things are different now, I don’t want you sand n*ggers sitting next to me.” Before attacking the man.
- “We got a new President you fucking f*ggots.” Men yell as they attack gay man.
- Trump supporters track down and brutally beat an artist because she made a painting of Trump with a small penis.
- Trump supporter who sucker punched protester: “Next time, we might have to kill them.”
- Trump is asked to comment on his supporters brutally beating a black man, he responds with, “Maybe he should have been roughed up,”
- “You fucking gorillas and baby monkeys, We voted for Trump. Trump’s building a wall, beaners, and you’ll be going back to where you belong.” Man yells at black elementary school children unprovoked before he swerves his car at them attempting to hit them.
- Trump supporters beat black man so badly he’s hospitalized for concussion and call him the n-word.
- Trump supporter pepper sprays a 15-year-old girl point-blank in the face after another Trump supporter groped her breasts, shouting “n*gger lover” as she attempted to run away.
- Trump supporter walks up to a black man in the middle of a downtown area and says, “Donald Trump will deport you.” Before punching the black man.
- “Trump is going to win and if you don’t like it I’m going to beat your ass,” Trump supporter yells at random black woman outside of convenient store.
- Man attacks and kicks Muslim airport employee shouting, “Trump is here now, he will get rid of all of you.”
- In 8 months Trump supporters attacked protesters at 20 different rallies.
- Trump supporter tracks down a local Latino Democratic political candidate and tries to run him and his elderly mother over with a car. (The Latino candidate is also a former marine.)
- “This is for Donald Trump!” man yells as he runs up a Latino person and punches them in the head.
- Trump supporter goes to Hillary Clinton rally to disrupt the event, ends up punching someone when asked to leave.
- Trump supporter punches, chokes and slaps protesters on video during rally.
- An angry mob of Trump supporters brutally beat and grab a mans genitals because he held up a, “Republicans Against Trump” sign.
- A Trump supporter yells, “Get your black kids out of here. Do you even have a job? Do you know what a job is, n*gger?” Before physically attacking a black man who had come to the hospital to get help for his sick 2 week old daughter.
- Local Republican Politician sexually assaults a woman by, “grabbing her pussy.” and then says he is allowed to do it because now that Trump is president he doesn’t have to be politically correct.
- Canadian man who was a vocal Trump supporter both online and in person goes into a mosque and murders 6 people.
- Trump supporter physically assaults Comedian on stage for making Anti-Trump Joke.
- Man yells, “Trump” while beating African immigrant cab driver.
- A Trump supporter is arrested for burning a Mosque down.
- A Trump supporter sees a car has pro-gay bumper stickers on it and then follows the car, waiting for the 75 year old driver to get out before brutally attacking him while screaming, “My new president says we can kill all you f*ggots now.”
- A Trump supporter is arrested after brutally attacking gay men outside a McDonald’s. Witnesses describe the aftermath as, “There was blood everywhere.”
- A Muslim refugee gay rights activist is kidnapped and raped by two men in retaliation for, “Trump being mocked.”
- A Trump supporter is arrested on terrorism charges for building bombs he was going to use to kill Muslims.
- Person spray-paints a transgender veterans car with the word “Trump” then sets it on fire.
- A Trump supporter attacks two Muslim women and tries to push over a stroller with a baby in it while screaming, “Get the fuck out of America”
- A Trump supporter tells a random Muslim woman he sees on the street, “I’m voting for Trump because he said he would send all of you terrorists out of this country.” Before attacking her.
- Man shoots out the windows of two businesses from a car while shouting, “Hail Trump.”