Things have been a little crazy in my personal corner of the Internet for the last couple weeks. Let me see if I can give you a tour and tell you where I moved all the furniture:
- My ‘main’ blog, which was at www.doycetesterman.com/journal.html, is now right at doycetesterman.com. It also has a new design, which is apparently different enough that people thought it was a mistake. The newsfeed for this blog has also changed — the new feed can be had simply by clicking on the big orange button in the top right corner of the page.
- Random Average is no longer just a blog, but a blog, a forum, a scheduling calendar, and a PONY! You can get to it via the same ol’ http://random-average.com, but the newsfeed has changed: there’s one for the forums and a different one for the blog. They’re all linked off the front page of THAT site, top left.
- Adrift didn’t move, but the news feed is different than it was, and the look is different. Easiest thing to do in that case is to just go to http://doycetesterman.com/adrift/ and get new links.
- With all this done, I’m completely ‘off’ of Movable Type — the only thing left up are the eight years of archived posts from both Average-bear (which didn’t make the jump to doycetesterman.com in the first place) and eight years of Random-Average gaming stuff. The Random Average archives are linked off the new Ning-based R-A site (top left), and the Average-bear archives are… exactly where they are… which is where you’ll find them if you know where to look. Ahem.
- FireflyWiki, RandomWiki, Storyball, doyceandkate — all safe as houses and very unlikely to change. (All those sites are built with PmWiki which, unlike Movable Type, has actually made updating and maintaining them easier, rather than harder.)
The blog posts just fine… but the newsfeed seems to be a little gitchy.
Also? The blog seems convinced that I’m on GMT -0. Which is annoying.
I’m actively communicating online all day, every day, but my main blog languishes. Why is that?
Simplicity. Twitter tweets, facebook updates, Flickr photo posting, and sharing news articles with commentary… all of those things are easier and faster BY AN ORDER OF MAGNITUDE than posting via Movable Type.
Continuing to work through the trials of (1) quick updates to (2) multiple blogs/platforms. The hitch, as always, seems to be getting [whatever] to work with Movable Type.
Been a long while since I’ve posted (on this blog, anyway — I’ve been busy elsewhere on the internets, but not here), lets see about updating a bit.
I’ve revised the code on the site a bit to be a bit more small-browser-window friendly and just generally more readable. I’ve also resurrected average-bear.com as a kind of collective repository of everything I’m posting on all my sites, and updated a bit on Facebook and Flickr.
I got my 50k words down for NaNoWriMo, but Humorless itself isn’t really done, so I expect I’ll be going back to that in the new year… once I’m done with the latest round of revisions on Hidden Things, which is my next big to do.
Just got back from the 1800 mile round-trip to South Dakota to visit family. Very good to see everyone and the little girl made out like some kind of mad toy bandit, so it was all win for her. Plus I got to take my girls to Mount Rushmore, finally. I’ve been there many many times, but neither of them had, so that was fun. Slight damper on the joys of the season: ear and throat “thing” that I’ll be dropping by the doc’s this afternoon to pick up medicine for. Ugh… Also, I seem to be carrying five extra pounds of stuffing and pumpkin pie around. Bleh. Time to seriously shop for a replacement for my poor destroyed elliptical.
Hearts in Atlantis (which I just realized is a terrible terrible pun on the part of the author), one or two of the Witches/Discworld books, and two of the Keys to the Kingdom books by Garth Nix, thanks to the local library’s audiobooks section and a very, very long road trip.